Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Scarface (1983)



Before I watched scarface, I always envisioned it was about some angry guy in a suit and a tommy gun.

My power of foresight is amazing.

To be honest, I don't know how I lived my life without ever seeing this movie. But then I realised that I only recently turned 20. And my do- gooder self aboded by its R18+ rating.
Al pacino is awesome. Because of this movie. I will now make the world 10% more annoying by reciting: "I am Tony 'fucking' Montana!"
"you want a piece of me?"
"Say Hello to My Little Friend"

Tony Montana ( Al Pacino), a Cuban refugee is after the american dream. Which is simplified as : having money, power and the women. ....Maybe a Tiger in your yard...and your bosses' woman. Oh and mountains of coke! ( the powdery white drug stuff!) Like all gangster films, It follows the rise and fall of man trying to do good in the world.

Set in Miami in the eighties, be prepared to see floral print shirts, Bikini babes and big hair. Some of the scenes, especially the riot scene in the beginning make me giggle, because the acting is so bad. But its worth watching it and sitting through its extra long running time.

should you see it?

yes! fuck! yes!

- but it does run for an unecessarily long time
I can see why its a favourite for so many, In many respects it is truly a cult film. Its worth watching to hear Al Pacino pull off a Cuban accent. If you can ignore the blood and violence
( which in my opinion is quite tame to more recent Hollywood ventures)

you are in for a fucking treat my friend!

No comments: